Apple Pancakes (Russian edition)
Favourite breakfast, lunch and dinner from my childhood
These pancakes are always fluffy, tender, and not too sweet, and apples add juiciness and sourness. You can eat them with sour cream, jam, condensed milk, and, of course, honey. And if you decide to replace apples, then take any berries or fruits, preferably fresh, so that the juice from the frozen ones doesn’t dilute the dough.
This recipe for sourdough pancakes is coming from my grandma, who cooked it when I was a little girl. Now each time I even smell something similar I immediately start thinking about my childhood. And I'm so grateful to my parents and grandparents for all those good memories.
- 1 ½ cups (250 g) flour,
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk or water, but milk pancakes are tastier,
- 1 egg,
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil,
grape seed oil is my all-time favourite;
- 2 tbsp sugar,
- ⅓ tsp salt,
- 12 g fresh yeast or 4 g dry yeast,
- 2 apples, it’s better to use sour ones.
- heat milk or water to 30 °C,
in order to check the temperature without a thermometer, just put your finger there - the liquid should be lukewarm;
- pour milk or water into a large bowl, dilute yeast in it and add sugar,
- when the yeast is completely dissolved, wait for a few minutes - bubbles should appear on the surface,
- add oil, egg and salt and whisk,
- gradually adding flour, continue whisking the dough - it should be homogeneous,
- cover it with a towel and put in a warm place for the dough to rise for 20-30 minutes,
- wash apples, peel, remove the core and cut them into small cubes (about 1 cm),
- add the apples to the dough and mix.
- preheat a pan over medium heat,
- if you use a non-stick pan - add oil,
- put the dough in a preheated pan with a moistened spoon, so the dough will not stick to the spoon and the pancakes will have perfect round shapes,
- cover with a lid for a couple of minutes,
- as soon as the top of the pancake is almost matte, turn it over and cook the other side without the lid,
- you’ll get about 16 pancakes, and I think that three pancakes are enough to feel full ;)
Published , updated