That recipe was lost and found too many times, but after a dozen of tries I've finally replicated the original taste and flavor! Cottage cheese cookies were one of my favorite treat from the childhood, it brings back special memories. So I want to share that amazing recipe with you.Ingredients:
- 200 g (7 oz) small-curd cottage cheese,
- 1 egg,
- 50 g (2 oz) softened, unsalted butter,
- 120 g all-purpose flour (8 oz / 1 cup),
- ¼ tsp salt,
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar (optional),
- ⅓ cup sugar.
- preheat the oven to 200º C (375º F),
- line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- place egg, cottage cheese, butter, salt and vanilla sugar, if you use it, into a big bowl,
- whisk until blended (with a mixer, use low speed),
note: do not over mix, as it will cause too much gluten development that will provide unnecessary elasticity to the dough and the cookies will be tough,
- sift the flour and baking powder together (or whisk together flour and baking powder instead of sifting),
- mix the dry ingredients into the bowl,
- stir until everything is incorporated (with a mixer, use low speed).
- For pedants:
- ball the dough,
- dust the counter and rolling pin lightly with flour,
- roll the dough out to about 1/4" of an inch thick,
- cut circles using glass,
note: leftover dough can be rolled out again);
- For lazy peoples:
- use your hands to roll the mixture into small balls,
- flatten out each dough ball in your hand to about 1/4" of an inch thick;
- pour your sugar into a flat plate,
- dip one side of your cookie into the sugar and gently press to coat it with sugar,
- fold it in half with the sugar on the inside - you'll get semicircle,
- dip one of the folded sides of your cookie in the sugar again,
- fold it in half with the sugar on the inside - you'll get quarter circle,
- dip one of the folded sides of your cookie in the sugar last time,
note: the sugar will always be on the inside, if you accidentally dip both sides in sugar don’t panic, it will be still yummy,
- place the finished cookies on the baking sheet.
- bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the cookie turn golden brown,
- once done, remove from the oven and place onto a rack to cool completely.