Philly Cream Cheese
Homemade cream cheese is silky smooth and incredibly delicious
With this unbelievably easy recipe, you can create a great and fresh alternative to storebought soft cheeses, which often are full of additives and preservatives.
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp salt
Note: makes about 350g (12 oz).
- pour heavy cream and milk into a pot, place it on the stove and heat it up over medium heat,
- bring it almost to a boil (80° C / 175° F, below the boiling point it becomes steamy), stir frequently to prevent scorching,
- once it reaches the desired temperature, remove it from the stovetop,
- add the buttermilk and stir well to combine, cover the pot with a lid and let it sit overnight to let the curds form,
- sprinkle the salt and use a whisk to break the curds into small pieces
- line a finemesh strainer or sieve with a clean cheesecloth or coffee filter and place it over a bowl,
- pour in the mass and transfer it all to the fridge; allow it to drain in the fridge for at least 6 hours,
- once done, peel off the coffee filter or the cheesecloth and put the cheese in a container with tightfitting lid.
Cream cheese storing
Cream cheese can be kept in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Published , updated